Thursday, September 25, 2008

I Was Going to Write My Blog, But I Forgot…

If my writing jumps around a lot and it doesn’t always make sense, it’s because I have ADHD so I can’t stay focused. I’ve been locked in my office and I’m not allowed to come out until I’m finished writing all of my blog, but I don’t think that’s very fair, since no one even told me what I’m supposed to be writing about.

The whole reason I’m still not done is because this is the second time I’ve written this blog. I wrote the first draft last week. I put it in a folder in my briefcase, but the next day when I went to get it out, it was gone. It makes me really mad that someone went in to my briefcase and stole my blog that I had worked on for so long. Whoever it was must have taken the key for my briefcase out of my desk drawer and used it to get my paper when I was in the restroom, because I only left my briefcase sitting by itself for five minutes the whole day.

I don’t even know why I should bother writing this blog anyway. The people who read it don’t like me and they’re just going to write mean comments on it and give me a bad review. All of the other bloggers get higher ratings even though my blog is way better than what they write. That’s just because the readers like them more than they like me. It’s so unfair.

I’m not even going to get full credit for writing this. Supposedly the deadline was last Tuesday, but I must have gone to the bathroom when it was announced, because I know that I wasn’t made aware. If I had known, I would have turned it in on time. I was given a one-day extension to get it in, but I had a dentist appointment that day, so when I got back to work, no one reminded me to upload my blog, so I forgot to do it, even though I had it, so now it’s considered “late.” Isn’t that ridiculous?

I mean, what’s with all these dumb rules, anyway? How am I supposed to know when this is due and that’s due and how much time for this and that and the other? I’m trying my hardest, isn’t that enough? Nobody cares about me; all they care about is whether I get my blog done. How impersonal!

When I told my mom the real story about what happened with my blog, she marched right down to my workplace and demanded a meeting with my supervisor. She told him about how hard things are for me at home right now with a wife and two young kids to take care of and the slumping economy and the rising cost of food and gas. My mom is good at making other people understand my circumstances so that they aren’t so hard on me when I’m a little bit late posting my blogs.

It’s hard being a thirty-something these days. I’m pretty stressed out from worrying about America’s need for alternative energy sources and the financial bailout of Fannie Mae with taxpayer dollars. And there’s a lot of peer pressure to deal with too. People are constantly pushing Obama on me, so sometimes it's hard to do the right thing and support McCain/Palin. With all these worries and pressures, I just don’t have time to write the blog.

It’s 2:00 a.m. and I’m still trying to finish this thing. It’s supposed to be at least 500 words long, but that’s way too much to expect from an amateur blogger. I’m not a professional. It’s not like I’m even going to use any of this when I get older.

Supposedly it’s in my contract that I’m to write one blog every week, but I never saw that anywhere. I remember getting a bunch of papers at the beginning of the year, but I didn’t know I was supposed to read them all. Why didn’t someone tell me they were important?

I just looked through those papers and I found something about my blog assignments. Apparently, I have an assigned topic for each month. So now that I’ve wasted all this time writing all of this other stuff because no one told me what to do, I’m going to have to start all over again on the topic I'm assigned:

“Teaching Personal Responsibility” – a blog by Jim McKenzie

Excuses are so easy to make, aren’t they? I could list dozens of excuses I hear everyday from students...

1 comment:

write2life said...

Wow! The satirical spin said it all. Thanks for keeping it real Jim.